Blog Post #7

June 20, 2011

Chapter 17-Don Quixote

We see many changes in discourse throughout this chapter–from narrator’s discourse to character’s discourse. In the narrator’s discourse, we are being told the story in the past tense and as soon as the character’s discourse takes place, it reverts back to the present tense. It leaves readers questioning which of the narration techniques houses the reliable narrator. The heterodiegetic narrator is whom I would believe to be the most reliable, and though I question Sancho’s sanity and brain power, he is always seeing the same things as the narrator, unlike Quixote. Quixote, though also clearly off his rocker, can also be referred to as a reliable narrator–in most cases–because his hallucinations are consistent. So while we can understand that the narrator is telling us the truth (the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help us students of literary analysis), we can also understand that Quixote truly believes he is seeing these windmill giants, dust clouds filled with armies, and so on. I also believe that when the characters are speaking, it is direct tagged discourse.

Important Quotes to think about using:

129- Sancho hopes that Quixote dies tomorrow so he can reveal his secret

130-Sancho questions their adventures/misadventures

131-demands greater respect

133-Sancho gets sick from drinking the “balsam”